Sunday, September 28, 2014

Cake 28-Steinberg Skating Rink

Found September 1, 2014

While we were on a roll, we decided to conquer the rest of the cakes in Forest Park on a beautiful Labor Day.

We headed over to Steinberg Skating Rink for our next cake.  I have to say that I was intrigued by the Great Forest Park Balloon Race choice of design on the cake, but had no idea why there were hot air balloons on a skating rink cake.

Since I hadn't done research on many of the cakes until I embarked on my blog project a day ago, I didn't worry about the balloons too much.


Flash back to last weekend, when I learned that the Great Balloon Race takes place every year.  Andrew and I drove over to watch the balloon glow and saw the cake on display at the event.  Suddenly this all came together.  Now it made sense!  I love the Balloon Glow so much that this has now become one of my favorite cakes! 

The Balloon Race began in 1973 and has continued for 42 years.  Now on Friday night before the race people gather around Central Field to watch all the balloons light up the night sky.  Then the following day, the balloons are all launched for the Great Balloon Race.

I can't wait to go again next year!

For more info on the race see http://greatforestparkballoonrace.com/history/

No comments:

Post a Comment