Sunday, September 28, 2014

Cake 12-Shrine of St. Rose Phillipine Duchesne

Found July 26, 2014

Boy was this cake an adventure to find!

After attending a friends wedding earlier that afternoon, we decided to head to downtown St. Charles to do some exploring with some other wedding guests before the reception.  The wedding had taken place in St. Peters, but the reception was at the Heart of St. Charles, so we figured it would be nice to explore the downtown area.  I was especially excited because I knew there were a few cakes in the area.  

Well, my husband and I plugged the address to the First State Capital into our handy dandy GPS, and somehow wound up on Main Street of Orchard Farms instead.  Don't even ask me how a GPS can screw up that poorly.  When we finally got to the real St. Charles downtown, we still were driving around aimlessly, since clearly the GPS had been no help.  Andrew was frustrated that I couldn't give better directions, and I was frustrated that clearly I was no longer going to find all these cakes.  We turned a corner, and I spotted this cake on the side of the road.  Andrew slowed long enough for me to snap a picture, but at the time I still had no idea what cake I'd even gotten a picture of!  

It wasn't until we got home late that night that I could do a little searching on the Cakeway map to see which cake it was that we'd discovered.  The Shrine to St.Rose Phillipine Duchesne is a tribute to the French Missionary who worked to bring God's love and education to the Missouri frontier in 1818.  St. Phillipine worked for 35 years to open schools across Missouri and Louisiana and her work is now connected to many schools across the nation and in Canada.  What a fascinating lady!


Needless to say, another trip to the St. Charles area would be necessary in order to collect more cakes, but at least I had one!

No comments:

Post a Comment