Saturday, September 27, 2014

Cake 1-St. Louis Zoo

This cake was found on July 19, 2014
And thus began the Cakeway Journey....

After having spent our first four days in St. Louis unpacking all of our boxes we had moved from my parents house in Wisconsin, I was ready for a break.  We have a cake on Concordia Seminary campus, but for some reason I hadn't explored campus with my camera in hand, so this was cake one.  Back when I was ten years old, my family had visited St. Louis, but we never went to the zoo, so I knew this was the first place I wanted to visit as a new resident.  

The first few days we were in St. Louis, the temperatures were quite pleasant (mid 70's.) After having beautiful days of leaving windows open in our apartment, we thought we'd spend Saturday walking over to the zoo to see the animals, and hopefully see the cake that I had just read about the night before.  Little did we pay attention to the fact that it was supposed to get much warmer that day, nor did we think through the fact that Saturday at the zoo may not be the best time to go, before we walked out the door to take a nice stroll over to Forest Park.

Needless to say, after much sweating, lots of water breaks, and a huge crowd,  we made our way into the zoo.  Stupid me, I assumed that the cake would be just inside (not having paid much attention to the helpful hints given on the website about actual cake locations.) After being herded through the new River's Edge portion of the zoo by the many children and strollers and wagons surrounding us, I was almost ready to call it a day and head home, but we kept pushing further into the zoo, towards the north entrance.  Surely that is where the cake is I told myself.  As we entered the building on the north side, it was clear that there wasn't a cake there either.  I stopped and asked the lovely lady working the visitor desk, and to my dismay was told "Oh yes, it's just outside of the South exit." What? That's where I came in.....how had we missed it?  But lesson learned, we found it on our way back out, after viewing most of the animals at the zoo.  Next time, I would check the exact locations.  This is what I get for still living in a "dumb" phone world.

No comments:

Post a Comment