Sunday, September 28, 2014

Cake 26-James S. McDonnell Planetarium

Found September 1, 2014

After a blur of finding 25 cakes in our first two weeks in St. Louis, we took a month break as I adjusted to my new job teaching K-8 music.  It was a huge adjustment to start school in the middle of August.  As a Wisconsinite all my life, I'd never had school start before Labor Day.  I actually had to work on my birthday.  The very first day of school was my birthday.  What is this craziness.


I decided to celebrate my first day off of school by visiting the Science Museum.  Huge mistake...while quite enjoyable, the museum was packed by families taking advantage of their Labor Day together by also visiting the museum.  Children packed into every corner of the museum....but still fun.  We parked on the Planetarium side of the museum (it's free on that side!) and caught our first cake on the Planetarium side.

We didn't pay to do any of the planetarium shows, as we had just been to the Adler Planetarium in Chicago in January. But they did sound interesting. 

The Planetarium was built in 1963, but after losing revenue was close in 1983.  It was sold to the Science Center in 1984, and was remodeled and reopened as part of the Science Center in 1985. 

For more history on the James S. McDonnell Planetarium click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment