Old Cahokia Court House was built as a dwelling in the 1730's as a French log cabin. The building became a courthouse in 1793, and served as the center of political activity of the Old Northwest Territory for 20 years. Lewis and Clark used the Old Cahokia Court House as a headquarters for collecting information while camping at nearby Camp River DuBois from December of 1803 and the spring of 1804. The building was dismantled in 1901, re-erected twice, and reconstructed on the original site in 1939.
No comments:
Post a Comment